Version 1.20 is available in the App Catalog.
- photo tweets (only TwitPic and Posterous)
- video upload switched from TwitVid to Posteous (authentication issues)
- refresh on lists would reload current tweets
- lists causing duplicate/false notifications
Limited Media Upload Options
As Twitter is migrating to its new authentication mechanism, the various photo services are also doing their migration. However, they are in different stages of readiness, so at the moment only TwitPic and Posterous photo upload are supported.
Similarly, video upload has been switched to Posterous because of authentication support.
In a rush to release this version, some text in Tweed was not translated to the various languages and will only appear in English (though this version of Tweed is available in all international Palm App Catalogs).
Sorry again for the hassles with the new authentication model.
As you know, photo and video tweets are broken in version 1.8. The reason has to do with Twitter's new authentication mechanism, but the core problem was a mistake on our part.
Tweed (like most Twitter applications) used to store both your username and password.
Twitter is requiring all third party apps use their new authentication mechanism (for more on that, see Twitter's developer docs ). With this new mechanism, Tweed no longer stores your password, which is better from a security standpoint.
This caused media integration to break, as third party services like TwitPic or yFrog, typically also use your Twitter username and password. As Tweed no longer has your password, it is failing to upload your media.
Twitter was requiring that all apps be ready by the end of June (the cutoff date has now been extended). Unfortunately, our developers bandwidth was limited and, in our rush to update Tweed, we did not account for the changes to the media integration.
Many of these services offer a compatible authentication mechanism. We are in the process of changing Tweed to use these methods. We should have done this before version 1.8 was released and we are sorry for the frustration this has caused users.
There are some other bugs that have been reported, such as broken Conversation view with protected users. We are working on these as well.
We also are sorry we have been so silent on Twitter and email lately. As you know, we are normally tried to be responsive and engaged with our users. Unfortunately our Tweed resources are not dedicated to Tweed and they've been juggling responsibilities at the moment.
We hope to have the fix submitted to Palm soon.
Version 1.6 has been submitted and should be in the App Catalog soon.
- Load More showing gaps in home timeline (should finally be really fixed)
- List notifications were false/repeats in some cases
- links that had all capital letters didn't work
- notification stability improvements (more may be needed though)
Features and Changes
- Goto User (tap App menu, Goto User)
- User Search (as you type in search box, option for user search will be presented)
- Copy Tweet (gesture-tap of tweet -- hold finger in gesture area, then tap tweet )
- Internationalization beta
Tweed has been translated to the various languages for which webOS is available.
With this version, pricing returns to $2.99, though updates for existing paid users are free.
Version 1.5 has been submitted and should be in the App Catalog soon.
- Load More showing gaps in home timeline ( see below)
- Links causing app to freeze
- Notifications not clearing on loading the timeline
- Wrong (and really big) notification counts in dashboard
Forward Gesture/Compose is still broken -- seems to be problem in webOS 1.4 update. (This seems broken in web browser application as well)
Features and Changes
- basic/beta TwitVid integration for uploading video
Before 1.3, some users had gaps in their home timelines when clicking "Load More". We tried to fix this in 1.3 and probably made things worse.
We are going back to the previous methods we had in 1.2. While users may still see gaps, the problem seems to on the Twitter side. In more expansive testing, it seems that the Twitter API occasionally return the wrong tweets for Load More. We are trying to find out more from Twitter
While we think the Load More behavior will be better, we don't think this is fully resolved and might be outside our control.
Opening Links and Frozen App
This is a bit complicated. We thought our update to 1.3 fixed this. It did, for some users, it didn't for others.
Apparently there are some bugs in Palm's installer that have led to some files not being overridden, even though they changed. Upon testing, we've discovered version 1.3 installations that still have some of the 1.2 files.
We are hoping this update forces an overwrite of the files in question, but it may not for everyone. For those that still have trouble with links freezing the app:
- try deleting Tweed first, then re-install -- this should clear out old files
- if it still doesn't work, please email us at email@example.com
We have integrated TwitVid uploads with Tweed. We consider this a beta and expect users to experience some problems. Honestly we wanted to let people experiment sooner than later.
The largest problem is upload stability -- video files can be sizable and the upload may fail, especially over cell. We suggest using video with wifi only.
There are some webOS challenges unfortunately to making this integration more robust. The file upload mechanism in webOS doesn't allow for resuming a failed upload: it is all or nothing. For larger files (like video), this is a bit fragile.
We are hoping Palm will provide other upload mechanisms that will allow us to make this more robust, but honestly, we are a bit stuck unless they make these changes.
We plan to make add features to Tweed to provide better feedback about progress and help make retries easier.
As we announced some time ago, we are no longer continuing development on the free version of Tweed. We haven't the resources to continue developing two versions of the application.
Unfortunately, webOS 1.4 has broken Tweed and this is something we weren't expecting. However, we still aren't in a position to support both versions (free version is no longer in US catalog), so users of 0.9.x won't be getting an update. We are sorry for this and understand it will make Tweed unusable for many/most users of this version.
To make it easier for free users to upgrade to the paid version, we are going to reduce the price of Tweed from $2.99 to $0.99 for the next few weeks. As with all Palm apps, updates are free.
Version 1.3 has been submitted and should be in the App Catalog soon.
- Load More showing gaps in home timeline
- TweetPhoto: upload and in-app photo viewing restored
- can remove account if username changed on Twitter
- RT's now show timestamp of RT, not original tweet
- webOS 1.4 issues are fixed (for upcoming webOS update)
Features and Changes
- specify RT style: old, new or prompt (per tweet) tions
pre|central.net has posted their picks for Best Apps of 2009, and they've picked both of the apps we developed internally as must-have apps in their categories, with Tweed at the top of the list in the Social Networking category, and Scoop being edged out by The New York Times in the News category. (We will concede that they have a little more experience in the News world than we do. ;-) The AP Mobile app also gets a shout out in the News Category, which some of you know is another app we developed, in this case on behalf of a client.
Thanks to the pre|central folks for picking our apps, and to all our users for installing those apps, and for all your feedback.
In the past, we've been asked if we planned to charge for Tweed. Until recently, we hadn't made a decision. Tweed began as an application we developed to learn Palm webOS, and it grew into something we started to depend on, so we decided to release it to the App Catalog.
At this point, Tweed has a thriving user base and continues to grow in its maturity and capabilities. However, this does come with considerable costs to Pivotal Labs and we can't indefinitely subsidize the entire cost of development. So, we've decided to make Tweed a paid application in the App Catalog.
We are committed to continuing to develop and support Tweed. Charging for it will let us keep bringing you new features, like the ones in the 1.0 release.
Existing Tweed users can continue to use the current version, (0.9.16) and you can still grab a copy until the paid apps are available; it will not timebomb and we're happy for you to keep using it. However, it will be removed from the App Catalog when the paid version replaces it. Hopefully you'll find the new features compelling enough to upgrade. (Unfortunately it will install as a new application, so you will have to re-enter your accounts and you will lose existing timeline markers and bookmarks. Sorry, this is a consequence of the new App Catalog and we have no influence over this.)
For Canadian users, Tweed will continue to be free until Palm launches a commerce enabled App Catalog in Canada. (This will be true for new Palm Pre markets as well.)
There will be a variety of new features available in the initial 1.0.0 release of the paid application.
- true, direct photo upload (no more email)
- TwitPic, TwitGoo, TweetPhoto, yFrog, Posterous
- new notifications dashboards
- full-screen view of user profile image (tap user picture on user profile scene)
- preference for number of tweets on fetch
- ability to change password
- show number of tweets in user profile
- direct messages can include photos
While we have lots planned for Tweed, some items of note include:
- landscape support
- bit.ly / j.mp url shorteners
- Flickr upload support
Tweed will normally cost $3.99. However, for the next few weeks, to help ease the transition, we will offer Tweed for the discounted price of $1.99.
We thank you all of using Tweed. While we know some of you will be disappointed that Tweed will be a paid-only application, we hope you will enjoy the new Tweed.
0.9.14 of Tweed is now available in the App Catalog.
- timeout didn't actually timeout
- re-launch app created new card
- loading spinner/scrim no longer full screen -- allows for user interaction/cancel if Twitter is slow
- option to disable links in tweet list (still available from tweet popup)
- ability to re-tweet own tweets
- Nearby timeline (can search within nearby, configure Nearby radius)
- Photo View
- Support for French (for Canadian users)
- preference to open multiple cards per account
- if tweet contains photo link, icon indicator will be present
- can view photos within Tweed, no need for external browser load
- twitpic.com, tweetphoto.com (and pic.gd), yFrog.com and twitgoo.com supported
If enabled, you can tap Open from App Menu to open another card for an account. (This allows multiple timelines to be simultaneously open, similar to TweetDeck)
Next Tuesday, July 14, at 10pm PST, Chris Sepulveda from Pivotal Labs will be broadcasting an O'Reilly WebCast on automated unit testing with the Palm Mojo SDK. Developer testing is at the heart of Pivotal Labs's development practices, and we're excited to be involved in bringing testing to Mojo development. The WebCast will cover the following:
- Introduce BDD & Jasmine
- Installing Jasmine & add related code to the app to support BDD
- Discuss how to write a failing test first, then add functionality to make a test pass
- Develop a simple webOS application test first, with the Mojo SDK
Date: Tuesday, July 14th at 10 am PT
Duration: Approximately 60 minutes
To register: http://oreilly.com/go/palmmojo
A new version of Tweed is available! (v.0.9.8)
- memory leak with notifications
- timeline marker not being preserved when Load More is tapped
- loading spinner hanging when minimizing during a load
- preserve tweet position on refresh
- tweets not always displaying after Load More
- false notification reports
- removed Refresh and Load More from conversation timeline
- notifications stopped when swiping away dashboard with Tweed closed
- simplified notifications: when enabled, they check every 15 minutes, independent if Tweed is open or closed
- configure notifications: selectively configure timelines
- Tap header: option to jump to top/bottom of timeline
- When loading a timeline, start with marker (if present)
- load up to 200 tweets when a marker is present (100 tweets for searches)
- notifications: display badge counter number of timelines with notifications
- notifications: dashboard stack allows users to cycle through all notification timelines
- photo integration (via auto generated email) -- this week
- configure notifications for bookmarks *